Sunday, September 30, 2012

Mid-Autumn Festival

Now that we are in China and are learning to adjust, we are also trying to learn the language and more about the culture.  Thank goodness for Jacky our driver because he goes every where with us and helps us communicate with people.  He also helps us by teaching us some basic words.  For example, today Casey had to go into the police station to register us as residents and Ellen and I waited in the running car....for two hours!  Good thing I packed barbies and other toys!  Jacky kept coming out to make sure we were ok and then when he and Casey finally came back they taught me a new word/phrase.  Granted, this is my English translation of it, but they taught me "be patient".  The Chinese translation is "la shin tin die".  Yes, I had to "la shin tin die" today and it was not easy!  On the other hand it is also the beginning of the Mid-Autumn festival.  I will attach a link so you can read more about it, but it is also known as the moon cake festival.  When reading about it, I enjoyed the fact that it was a time to think about family far away.  I found it very fitting given our recent move.  I have also received several calls and texts from the people I have met here wishing me a Happy Mid-Autumn Festival.  Although it was a long day, it has been a very nice day knowing I have met great people here and have amazing friends and family to think of back at home!
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/holidays/mid-autumn.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment